$3,500 Grants – All Media Eligible
The Hopper Prize is now accepting entries for our Fall 2021 artist grants.
For this open call, we have increased grant awards to $3,500.
We are offering 2 grants in the amount of $3,500 and 4 grants in the amount of $1,000.
Grants will be awarded through an open call art competition juried by leading contemporary curators.
The Hopper Prize was established in order to increase the recognition of artwork created by artists and photographers. Our aim is to advance artists’ careers by providing them with unrestricted financial support that is coupled with a platform for increased visibility. We accept submissions twice a year via an open call.We are currently accepting submissions for the Fall 2021 grant cycle.
Total Awards: $11,000.00 USD for visual artists
• $3,500.00 – 2 artists will each receive a $3,500 (USD) grant • $1,000.00 – 4 artists will each receive a $1,000 (USD) grant
• 30 artists will have their work archived at hopperprize.org
• A selection from the submissions will be featured on our Instagram feed @hopperprize
• Additional exposure will be available to winners through our Journal: Insights into Contemporary ArtConnect with Curators
We collaborate with contemporary curators holding prominent positions at major institutions in order to select our grant winners. Our open call provides you with a direct path to get your work in front of these forward thinking exhibition makers. Jurors for the current awards are:
Blaffer Art Museum
Caitlin Julia Rubin
Associate Curator & Director of Programs
Rose Art Museum
Our jurors will be selecting 6 artists from our open call who will each receive an unrestricted cash grant.
2 artists will win $3,500 and 4 artists will win $1,000.
The jurors will also select a shortlist of 30 artists who will have their work archived at hopperprize.org.
Grant awards are unrestricted and may be used any way the recipients choose.
When submitting your work, you will have the option to opt-in to be considered for possible Instagram features on our feed @hopperprize, where we currently reach an audience of over 60K. Our editors will be featuring select submissions on a rolling basis prior to the application deadline.
In addition to grant awards, our shortlist, and Instagram reach, we will be providing an additional platform for exposure via our online Journal Insights Into Contemporary Art. We launched this digital publication to give artists a new channel to amplify their voice while providing an in-depth look at their work, practice, and background. Grant recipients and shortlisted artists will all receive the opportunity to publish an interview to include any work of their choosing as a means of providing continued support beyond the open call.Eligibility
The Hopper Prize is open to all artists age 18 and older working in any media. There are no restrictions on genre, subject matter, or media. We welcome entries in all media.
We are committed to supporting artists from diverse cultural backgrounds at all stages of their professional careers. All artists are encouraged to apply.Recent Winners
We support artists working in all media, from diverse backgrounds, in wide-ranging geographic locations. Recent grant winners include:
• Abi Salami, Dallas
• Abigail Lucien, Baltimore
• Hasani Sahlehe, Atlanta
• Laura Berger, Chicago
• Jennifer Sirey, Brooklyn
• Cielo Felix-Hernandez, Richmond
• Akihiro Boujoh, Utrecht
• Joey Solomon, Brooklyn
• Lynnea Holland-Weiss, Cleveland
• Susan Chen, Hartford
• Yannick Lowery, Philadelphia
• Andrea Ferrero, Mexico City
• Christopher Desanges, Boston
• Dominic Hawgood, London
• Kira Dominguez Hultgren, San Francisco
• Vikesh Kapoor, Sunset Pines
• Adrian Coleman, London, United Kingdom
• Trish Tillman, New York, New York
• Nicholas Moenich, Brooklyn, New York
• Elena Bajo, Los Angeles, California
• Vanessa da Silva, London, United Kingdom
• Mark Baugh-Sasaki, San Francisco, California
• Genevieve Cohn, Bloomington, Indiana
• Sydney Cook, Baltimore, Maryland
• Jinyong Park, London, United Kingdom
• Isabel Yellin, Los Angeles, California
• Alex Callender, Northampton, Massachusetts
• Alicia Eggert, Denton, Texas
• Daniel McCarthy Clifford, Minneapolis, Minnesota
• Juan Giraldo, New York, New York
• Maja Ruznic, Los Angeles, California
• Letitia Huckaby, Benbrook, Texas
• Tracy Kerdman, Saugerties, New York
• Lebohang Kganye, Johannesburg, South Africa
• Christopher Meerdo, Chicago, Illinois
• Erik Parra, San Francisco, CaliforniaDeadline
November 16, 2021Simple Application
We made our grant application simple to reduce the stress of submitting your work and save you time. The application is short and can be completed in under 20 minutes.
To apply for a grant, you only need to submit this information:
• Name & Email
• Instagram Username (optional)
• Up to 10 Image or Video attachments
• Artwork captions
• Artist Statement & Biography (optional)
• $40 submission feeApply Now
Show us your work at https://hopperprize.org