The World on My Canvas by Murthy L Mantha
On exhibit December 5, 2020 – January 21, 2022
Reception Saturday, January 8th 2-4 pm. Beginning in 2022, Saturday Gallery Hours are 10:30 am – 3:00 pm.
This exhibit is a collection of 50+ original paintings created by me over the past 30 years. The idea is to showcase my evolution as an artist from making simple India ink drawings to more sophisticated color paintings. Some of these paintings have won awards and some were never exhibited before.
Medium: Watercolors on Paper, Acrylics on Canvas, Pen and Ink Drawings on Paper, Oil on Canvas
Subjects: Landscapes, Illustrations for themes from literature of India
Landmarks from: Austria, Belize, Canada, France, Iceland, India, Italy, Switzerland, UK and USA.
The exhibit is arranged in three sections – each representing a part of the world that I lived and/or travelled. (Europe, USA, India)
In the India section, I have included illustrations for select unique stories from our literature. Also, I pay tribute to my roots: my and my in laws hometowns as well as my favorite mathematician Ramanujan.
Each of my paintings has a story behind it – a memorable personal experience of the place, architecture, a natural landmark or a unique geological phenomena.
The wide variety in paintings is due to the diverse nature of the subjects. Each painting was carefully planned and executed expressing an emotional response, balancing the design principles with the representational needs of the subject. Acrylics were painted on canvas like oil paintings in an impasto style. Off late, I am favoring the use of square format and two panels for landscapes.
I would like to express many thanks to Irving Art Association for the opportunity for a solo exhibit. My special thanks to my dear wife Saraswathi and our adorable daughter Bhavana for their help in curating this show and supporting my artistic endeavors. I dedicate this show to my beloved father late Sri Mantha Rama Moorty.
About the Artist
- Murthy Mantha is a painter of watercolors. He is currently a member of the Visual Arts League, Irving Art Association, and Art Gallery of Ontario (Canada) and held memberships in many other art associations including as a past president of the IBM Club Art Club, Poughkeepsie, NY. He learned intricacies of art through self-study of various master artists in India and USA. Some of his artistic inspirations came from Tiepolo, Rembrandt, Cezanne, Frank Webb and Paul Klee.
- Murthy’s artistic inquiry is division of pictorial space and arrangement of light with emphasis on design. He paints mainly in watercolors preparing for them with plein-air studies, pen and Ink drawings from life and his own photographs during travels around the world.
- Murthy believes in continuous learning and curiosity as fundamental to being a better artist.
- He lives and paints from his home in Flower Mound, Tx. He conducts workshops in composition and design using watercolors.
- email: email@example.com
- Instagram: #artistmurthym
- Currently on Exhibit:
- Irving Art Association – Solo Exhibit Dec 2021 – Jan 2022
- Mainstage222 Irving, Tx – Blue Bonnets Landscape paintings in Acrylics
- Thrive, Lewisville – Sea Scape paintings in Acrylics
- Recent Awards:
- Visual Arts League May 2021 Artist of the Month Award – Second Place for watercolor painting
- Irving Art Association 2020 Fall/Winter Show – Honorable Mention for photograph for “Joy of the Human Spirit” theme.
Note: Free exhibits in the West Gallery are a perk for IAA members – enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org