City of McKinney – Call for Artists ‘Juried Art Competition/Exhibition’ – $6,000 Purchase Prize
The City of McKinney and McKinney Performing Arts Center is currently seeking submissions to our 8th Annual ‘Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition and Exhibition. This event was created to build a public and permanent art collection for the McKinney Performing Arts Center located in Historic Downtown McKinney.
Cash and purchase prizes totaling $8,500 will be distributed as follows:
· One large scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36” or more in one dimension. To be considered for the Purchase Prize, artists must submit an online application. There is a $28 application fee to submit 3 works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
· $2,500 in prize money will be divided among 5 works of art chosen by the judges. Size restrictions apply. Artists interested in submitting work to be considered for the Cash Prize must deliver their submissions in person on Saturday, March 30. There is a $25 application fee if paid by cash/check to submit 2 works. The fee is $28 if paid with credit card. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
· 2019 Purchase Prize submissions will be juried by a four-person panel. 10 semi-finalists will be selected in consideration for the Purchase Prize.
· Prize winners will be chosen by 2019 judges, Karl Buchberg, retired Senior Curator, MoMA and J. Patrick Cooney, J. Patrick Cooney Fine Arts.
· ‘Unique by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
· Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by May 2019.
· Artists may price their work for sale during the exhibit. Sales will be handled by MPAC minus a 25% commission. All commissions collected by McKinney Performing Arts Center will be used to purchase additional art work or to fund future competitions.
· Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
Mar 22 – Online entry submission deadline at 7 p.m. – Purchase Prize entries only
Mar 26 – Notification of Finalists for Purchase Prize
Mar 30 – artwork must be submitted in person on Saturday, March 30 for nonpurchase entries
Apr 2 – Delivery of work
Apr 6 – Awards Reception
Apr 6-27 – Exhibition
Apr 12-14 – Downtown McKinney’s Arts in Bloom – Spring Arts & Wine Festival
Apr 28 – Retrieve work