In its truest form, portraiture is about human connection. A portrait tells a lot about a person. Their emotion. Their grit. Their story. There is no other genre of photography that displays human vulnerability in its rawest form.
DCP invites you to enter this juried competition with photographs that illustrate this human connection.
They can be self-portraits or portraits of others; posed or candid; studio or environmental; camera original or digital composite.
Selections will be featured in a virtual exhibition on the DCP website. We are also planning to have an exhibition catalog in book form that will be available for purchase.
DCP will host a virtual opening reception on Friday, December 11 that is free and open to the public. Juror Jennifer Spelman will be in attendance to discuss the winning entries. Prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third winners.
This competition is not open to DCP employees, instructors, board members, corporate sponsors, partner companies, or their immediate families.
November 29 – Online submission deadline
Week of December 7 – Selections and winners announced
December 11 – Online opening reception
TBD – Online exhibition on the DCP Website
SUBMISSION RULES AND DETAILS
- Everyone of all ages, from amateur and professional, are eligible to participate in this call for entry.
- All images will be submitted through Smarter Entry.
- Our judge will be looking for images that reveal something about the subject, the photographer or both.
- Each applicant may submit up to 10 images for consideration.
- There are no restrictions on the type of camera or process used.
- All images must be original works of the photographer.
- General Entry: $35 initial entry fee for 1-3 images. Up to 7 additional images can be submitted for $5 per image.
- DCP members receive a 20% discount on the initial entry fee with promo code: $28.80 for 1-3 images. Up to 7 additional images can be submitted for $5 per image. Not a DCP member? Join now!
- First place: $500
- Second place: $350
- Third place: $150
Jennifer Spelman is a freelance editorial and documentary photographer based out of Santa Fe, New Mexico. She is a fluid traveler and is equally at home in rural villages and cosmopolitan cities.
A sensitive photographer of people, she strives to create images with energy and insight. Her clients have included Village Science, Seven Squared Media, The Heart Gallery, What Moves You, Sanjhi, and Sustainable Santa Fe.
Jennifer is a patient educator who has co-instructed with National Geographic Expeditions and taught workshops in Santa Fe, India, Mexico, and Cuba. She is thrilled to lead passionate photographers on ridiculously fun adventures around the world with the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops.