The City of McKinney and McKinney Performing Arts Center is currently seeking submissions to our 9th Annual ‘Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition and Exhibition. This event was created to build a public and permanent art collection for the McKinney Performing Arts Center located in Historic Downtown McKinney.
Cash and purchase prizes totaling $8,500 will be distributed as follows:
· One large scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36” or more in one dimension. To be considered for the Purchase Prize, artists must submit an online application. There is a $28 application fee to submit 3 works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
· $2,500 in prize money will be divided among 5 works of art chosen by the judges. Size restrictions apply. Artists interested in submitting work to be considered for the Cash Prize must deliver their submissions in person on Saturday, March 28. There is a $25 application fee if paid by cash/check to submit 2 works. The fee is $28 if paid with credit card. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
· 2020 Purchase Prize submissions will be juried by a four-person panel. 10 semi-finalists will be selected in consideration for the Purchase Prize. · Prize winners will be chosen by 2020 judges, Karl Buchberg, retired Senior Curator, MoMA and J. Patrick Cooney, J. Patrick Cooney Fine Arts.
by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
· Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by May 2020.
· Artists may price their work for sale during the exhibit. Sales will be handled by MPAC minus a 25% commission. All commissions collected by McKinney Performing Arts Center will be used to purchase additional art work or to fund future competitions.
· Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
Mar 20 – Online entry submission deadline at 7 p.m. – Purchase Prize entries only
Mar 24 – Notification of Finalists for Purchase Prize
Mar 31 – Delivery of work
Apr 4 – Awards Reception
Apr 4-25 – Exhibition
Apr 17-19 – Downtown McKinney’s Arts in Bloom – Spring Arts & Wine Festival
April 26 – Retrieve work