The Visual Arts Society of Texas (VAST) 26th Annual Members Exhibition is currently on exhibit at UNT on the Square,109 N. Elm St., Denton. This is the first year for the exhibition to be held at the UNT on the Square gallery. The exhibition is juried, and prizes totaling $2,650 in cash and merchandise have been awarded to the winners including a $750 Best of Show to Robin Butt. A total of 66 VAST members have work in the exhibit.
Mark Smith, currently a senior professor of painting and design at Austin College was the judge for the exhibition
From a press release for UNT: According to Smith, VAST is an organization that is integral to the vitality of the Denton arts community. “I don’t know if there is an analogous organization in the DFW area,” Smith said. “It is exceptional for its kind.”
Also, for the first time this year, an award titled “Pride of Denton Award” was selected by Denton Mayor Chris Watts.
The exhibition is dedicated to long-time member and past President, Claude Cheek.
- Best of Show Jeanne Heartsill Memorial Award: Robin Butt
- First Place PointBank Award: Yun Jung Lee
- Second Place Gail Cope Award: Maya Joubert
- Third Place Carmen and Jervis Underwood Award: Lori MacLean
- Fourth Place Gail Cope Award: Teri Muse
- Claude Cheek Memorial Award: Lori Garner
- Pride of Denton Award (chosen by Mayor Chris Watts): Judith Smothers
- Honorable Mention 1 Mary Sigle Memorial Award: Julie Covington
- Honorable Mention 2 Pauline Morris Memorial Award: Tonya Littmann
- Honorable Mention 3 Carol and Dave Rowley Award: Kenna Boles Prior
- Honorable Mention 4 Barbara Evans Award: David Blow
- Honorable Mention 5 SOHO Salon: Jessica Pullings
- Prismacolor Award: Kathy Elliott
- Jack Richeson & Co., Inc. Gift Certificate: Becca Hines
- Jack Richeson & Co., Inc. Gift Certificate: Nel Dorn Byrd
- Jack Richeson & Co., Inc. Gift Certificate: Deanna Wood
A People’s Choice Award provided by Asel Art will be awarded at the close of the exhibition. Exhibition catalogs will be available at the September 3 VAST meeting at the Patterson-Appleton Center for the Visual Arts.
The exhibition is presented with the support of UNT on the Square. VAST also receives support from the Greater Denton Arts Council. Major sponsors for the exhibition include Gail Cope, PointBank, Randy Robinson (President – Denton Market), Bobby and Mary Morris, Carmen and Jervis Underwood, Barbara Evans, Carol and Dave Rowley, SOHO Salon (Caranina Lavender, owner), Prismacolor (Shelley Minnis, representative), and Jack Richeson & Co. (Darren Richeson).
The exhibit runs through August 22; gallery hours are Mon. – Fri., 9:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00.