The Visual Art League of Lewisville (“VAL”) Texas is pleased to announce a call for entries for the Fresh Ideas 2018 juried show to be held at the Medical City of Lewisville Grand Theater art gallery in Lewisville, Texas from August 4th through September 8th, 2018. Fresh Ideas 2018 is the latest version of VAL’s prestigious juried exhibitions of new art works that represent current trends in modern art. Shown in the beautiful 2,000 sq ft Medical City of Lewisville Grand Theater art gallery (see http://www.mclgrand.com and http://visualartleague.org/about), Fresh Ideas includes regional artists who bring exceptional vitality to the Visual Art League’s exhibition series. The exhibition is open to all visual artists who reside in Texas.
Entry Fee ( NON-Member – Fresh Ideas 2018): $70.00
Entry Fee ( MEMBERS rate – Fresh Ideas 2018): $35.00
The non-refundable entry fee is $70 for non-members of VAL, which includes one year’s membership and $35 for VAL members for a maximum of three (3) pieces of work. Membership forms to join VAL can be found at http://visualartleague.org/test/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/11-27-16-VAL-Mbr-Form-with-Lisas-address.pdf .
Only original 2D and 3D art work (oil, watercolors, acrylics, pastel, mixed media, collage, drawing, prints, photography, ceramics, textiles, fiber, encaustic, jewelry and sculpture) created in the last two (2) years which has not previously been shown in any VAL exhibit will be considered for inclusion in the show. Original means works conceived and created by the artist and not created in a classroom setting. The maximum size of entries into this year’s competition is 60” x 60” including the frame. All 3D artwork must be able to sit on a pedestal no larger than 20” x 14”” or on the floor. Artists may submit up to three (3) pieces for consideration. Submissions of entries into the show will be via Callforentry.org and must meet the requirements of that site for size and type of image that is accepted.
•1st Place Winner will receive a cash prize of $800 and a solo show in summer 2019 at the MCL Grand art gallery in Lewisville, TX
•2nd Place $400
•3rd Place $250
•Four Honorable Mentions $100each
•People’s Choice Award $100
DEADLINE: Wednesday, July 25th, 2018, 1:00 AM Central Daylight Time (all subsequent times here are CDT).
• Thursday, July 26 – Friday, July 27st. Judging
• Saturday, July 28nd. Artists notified of acceptance into the exhibition
• Tuesday, July 31th: Accepted entries due at Medical City of Lewisville Theater, 100 North Charles St.,
Lewisville TX 75057 Main Gallery between 1:00 – 5:00 pm (All entries must be hand delivered)
• Saturday, August 4th: Opening Reception 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Award Ceremony 8:00 pm, MCL Grand art gallery
• Saturday, September 8th: Final day of Exhibit
• Tuesday September 11th 1:00 to 3:00, Pick up entries
Brenda Wyatt is a Texas printmaker, collage and fiber artist. Since 2008, she has been chair of the Keller Public Arts
Board, where she coordinates monthly exhibits, art competitions and sculpture acquisitions for the fast-growing suburb of
Fort Worth. A graduate in art from Illinois State University, she taught art in Southlake and Keller schools for 18 years. A longtime member of Dallas Area Fiber Artists Guild. Wyatt is the owner, designer of “Altar Angels Arts”, liturgical vestments and hangings. She has recently judged shows in Fort Worth, Abiliene, Southlake, and Grapevine.
• Works that are accepted into the exhibition must be hand delivered to the MCL Grand, 100 N. Charles Street, Lewisville, TX, Main Gallery, on the date and time specified in the Calendar above. It is the responsibility of the artist to arrange for delivering their works themselves or by a representative of the artist. Any work not available by the deadline of 5:00 PM on Tuesday July 31th will not be in the show. If an accepted artist does not deliver their piece for the show they will not be invited to submit next year.
• Works submitted for inclusion in exhibits must be framed and ready for secure installation if thoseworks are intended to be hung on walls, if the work is not properly framed or wired for installation the work will be rejected and not included in the show.
• All 3D artwork must be able to sit on a pedestal no larger than 20” X 14” or on the floor
• Framed pieces must be equipped with d-rings attached to the back and stretched with wire that has wire ends taped to prevent injury to the hanging committee. Sawtooth hangers or uniframes are not acceptable
• Wires, when stretched to hang the picture, should not come closer than two inches from the top of the frame. This prevents the hanger from showing when the picture is hung
• Because of the increased risk of injury from broken glass in very large pieces,Plexiglas or similar material must be used in lieu of frame glass for any piece larger than 600 sq in
• 2D pieces may not be larger than 60″ in either dimension, including the frame if any
• Diptychs, triptychs, or other multiple piece works constitute one piece and must be no wider than 60” when hung together
• Pieces that are hung may not be over 50 lbs in weight
• If pieces, including sculpture, are very fragile or very heavy, the artist will be expected to assist with their installation
• Pieces that are hung should have clean, gallery-wrapped canvas edges or be framed. There is no depth restriction on gallery-wrapped canvas edges as long as the pieces can be hung safely
• Photographs must be matted and framed, no gallery wrapped canvas is accepted for photography.
• This is a juried show. The juror has the right to reject any submitted work during the jury process
• All accepted works must remain on exhibit for the duration of Fresh Ideas 2018.
• The gallery is family friendly so no nudity is allowed.
VAL’s web site is http://visualartleague.org and the organization’s email address is
firstname.lastname@example.org. Email is the preferred form of communication with VAL. The phone number of the exhibition’s curator is 214-529-8285.
All prospective sales will be referred to the artist: neither VAL nor the MCL Grand will act as an agent between the artist and buyer. Exhibiting artists agree the MCL Grand receives a 10% commission and VAL receives 10% on all sales made during the show. Artists will be responsible for submitting any applicable sales tax to the State of Texas.
Artists retain all copyrights to their work but agree that the artwork on display may be photographed and reproduced in print and/or digital form solely for the purpose of promoting either the MCL Grand or Fresh Ideas 2018/2019 without compensation to the exhibiting artist.
Works are not insured while on display. The gallery is climate controlled. The Visual Art League of Lewisville and the MCL Grand will take precautions to protect the artwork at all times but will not be responsible for loss or damage during installation or while display.