‘Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition & Exhibition is hosted by McKinney Performing Arts Center (City of McKinney) with help from Arts and Music Guild volunteers. The event is sponsored in part by the McKinney Arts Commission and community leaders. http://artsandmusicguild.com/ubn/
The Juried Art Show and Exhibition was created to build a public and permanent art collection for MPAC. Artists from all over the state of Texas submit work for cash prizes and the chance to have their piece hung in our historic halls.
Cash and Purchase Prizes Totaling $8,500
* One large-scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36″ or more in one dimension (not including the frame).
* To be considered for the Purchase Prize, artists must submit an online application. There is a $28 application fee to submit three works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
* Please provide up to 3 JPGS of original work, a bio and contact information.
* Large work submission deadline is Friday, March 23 at 7:00 p.m.
* An additional $2,500 in prize money will be divided among five works of art chosen by the judges from among those submitted and juried into the non-purchase prize category.
* If you are interested in submitting smaller work, submissions will be accepted in person on Saturday, March 31, 9:30 am – 6 pm at MPAC. More information about in person submissions available from Arts and Music Guild.
* There is a $20 application fee to submit two works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
* Online form for purchase prize submissions – larger work eligible for the $6,000 purchase prize.
* Prospectus and additional information
- Based on received applications, 10 large-scale pieces will be selected for the show and displayed from April 7 – 28.
- Three-finalist will be chosen by 2018 judges, Karl Buchberg, retired Senior Curator, MoMA, and J. Patrick Cooney, J. Patrick Cooney Fine Arts.
- One purchase prize winner will be selected.
- ‘Unique by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
- Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by May 2018.
- Any additional sales will be handled by MPAC with a 25% commission to MPAC. These funds will be used to purchase additional work and to fund future competitions.
- Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
- Notifications of jury decisions will be emailed by March 27, and work must be delivered to McKinney Performing Arts Center by Tuesday, April 3.
Mar 23 – Deadline for online submission
Mar 27 – Notification of acceptance to show
Apr 3 – Deadline to deliver work
Apr 7 – Opening and awards reception
Apr 28 – Show closes
Apr 29 – Retrieve work