Through the Lens: Dallas Arts District
Juried Photography Competition
Through the Lens: Dallas Arts District is a collaboration between the Dallas Arts District (DAD), HALL Group, corporate sponsors and participating local photographers to raise funds for one of the most important parts of the Dallas Arts District – the Foundation’s granting arm that re-invests in the visual and performing arts in Dallas.
- Professional, emerging, mid-career and student photographers are encouraged to submit existing or new images of the Dallas Arts District that portray “A Day in the Life” of the district for juried selection.
- The selected photographs will be featured in a hardbound coffee table book, ‘Through the Lens: Dallas Arts District’, that will be sold at venues throughout the DAD.
- All gross proceeds from sale of the book will be donated directly to the Dallas Arts District Foundation.
- There is no fee to enter.
- Images will be accepted through April 30, 2018.
‘Through the Lens’ is open to artists at all levels of experience. Submitted photos can be existing photos that were taken previously, or new photos of the Dallas Arts District. There are no limits on subject matter as long as the photo is shot within the Dallas Arts District, and we encourage photographers to think outside the box. The judges will be looking for images that capture a glimpse of the life and vibrancy that defines the Dallas Arts District.
- Dallas Mayor Michael S. Rawlings, Honorary Chair
- Patricia Meadows, Co-Chair, Art Curator and Consultant
- Virginia Shore, Co-Chair, Art Curator and Advisor, Shore Art Advisory
- Jeremy Strick, Director of the Nasher Sculpture Center
- Dr. Agustín Arteaga, Director of the Dallas Museum of Art
- Dr. Sam Holland, Dean of the Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University
- Howard Rachofsky, Local Philanthropist and Art Collector
Selected Entries Will Receive:
- $500 stipend, one copy of the book and a gift from a Dallas Arts District venue (dining experience, performance tickets, memberships) with a value of $50-$100 or more.
- Inclusion in the hardbound coffee table book, ‘Through the Lens: Dallas Arts District’ The book will include an abbreviated biography of each photographer, specifications of each work, and highlights of the Dallas Arts District project.
- An invitation to the ‘Through the Lens Gala,’ where all photographers will be celebrated and recognized for their contribution to the publication.
- Recognized in press materials following the close of the exhibition.
- Select artists could also have the opportunity to license their art for future exhibition.
About the Dallas Arts District Foundation:
To complement the mission of the Dallas Arts District and to continue to support the programs of resident art organizations in the District, the Foundation sponsors a broad range of activities with particular emphasis on emerging artists and cultural groups from outside the Dallas Arts District.
Financial assistance is granted to a non-profit organization or to an individual sponsored by a non-profit organization who want to provide a specific artistic or cultural activity to occur within the Dallas Arts District that also benefits the public. The Foundation’s high priority is funding projects that are site-specific, innovative programs, that are developed through a collaborative process among different cultural organizations.