The 4th Annual ‘Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition & Exhibition is hosted by the City of McKinney’s McKinney Performing Arts Center with help from volunteers of the Arts and Music Guild. The competition and exhibition is sponsored by the McKinney Arts Commission, Orisons Art and Framing and citizen leaders dedicated to the growth of the arts in McKinney. All of the activities occur at the McKinney Performing Arts Center at the Historic Collin County Courthouse in Historic Downtown McKinney.
Cash and purchase prizes totaling $8,500 will be distributed as follows:
- One large scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36″ or more in one dimension. To be considered for the purchase prize, artists must submit an online application. There is a $25 application fee to submit 3 works. All fees will be applied to prize pool and scholarships.
- $2,500 in prize money will be divided among 5 works of art chosen by the judge including one Young Artist Award. Size restrictions apply.
- 2016 Purchase Prize submissions will be juried by a four-person panel. 10 semi-finalists will be selected in consideration for the Purchase Prize.
- Prize winners will be chosen by 2016 judge, Will Campbell, William Campbell Contemporary Art in Fort Worth, Texas.
- All 2D and 3D media are allowed. More specific information included in prospectus. Works will be juried according to original and engaging artistic vision, effective use of media, and professionalism of presentation.
- ‘Unique by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
- Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by April 2016.
- Artists wishing to be considered for the large work purchase prize must submit an online form.
- Artists interested in submitted work for the cash prize aspect of the show should refer to the full prospectus.
- Artists may price their work for sale during the exhibit. Sales will be handled by MPAC minus a 25% commission. All commissions collected by McKinney Performing Arts Center will be used to purchase additional art work or to fund future competitions.
- Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
Feb 01 – Online ‘Call for Artists’ Open – Purchase Prize entries only
Mar 25 – Online entry submission deadline at 7 p.m. – Purchase Prize entries only
Apr 01 – Acceptance notifications emailed – Purchase Prize entries only
Apr 02 – Hand-delivered entries received at McKinney Performing Arts Center
Apr 08 – Awards Reception
Apr 08-23 – Exhibition
Apr 09 – Downtown McKinney’s Arts in Bloom – Spring Arts Festival
Apr 24 – Pick-up of all entries