The Greater Denton Arts Council proudly presents the 31st Annual Materials: Hard + Soft National Contemporary Craft Competition and Exhibition. Recognized as one of the premier craft exhibitions in the country, Materials: Hard + Soft began in 1987 and was originally initiated by area artist Georgia Leach Gough. The exhibition celebrates the evolving field of contemporary craft and the remarkable creativity and innovation of artists who push the boundaries of their chosen media. Approximately 70 works will be selected by an esteemed juror for exhibition at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center in Denton, Texas.
Entries may be submitted via our online application form through September 29, 2017 (11:59 PM). A downloadable 2018 Prospectus is also available for entries submitted via physical mail or in person to the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center.
The Greater Denton Arts Council will provide Juror Awards in the amounts of $1,000, $750, $500 and $250. Winners will be determined by the juror and will be announced at the opening reception of the exhibition on February 2, 2018.
Works produced in any of the craft media: clay, fiber, glass, metal, paper, wood, or any combination of craft media, are acceptable. Entries must be the complete work of the submitting artist. Kits or commercially designed works will not be accepted. All work must have been completed within the past two years (2015-2017) and not previously exhibited at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES + ENTRY FEE
Each artist is limited to three (3) entries. There is a $40 (USD) non-refundable fee, for up to three (3) entries. Payments must be submitted online at the time of application.
All work must be ready for installation. Submissions are restricted to a weight limit of no more than 75 pounds. GDAC reserves the right to exclude any entry that presents complex installation or assembly problems.
Greater Denton Arts Council
400 E. Hickory St
Denton, TX 76201
- September 29, 2017 Deadline for acceptance of entry materials by 5:00 p.m. at the GDAC offices (NOT a postmark deadline)
- November 17, 2017 Notification forms are mailed to all artists
- December 1, 2017 Artist contracts are due
- January 3 – 10, 2018 Shipped and hand-delivered pieces are due to the Arts Center
- February 2, 2018 Opening Reception 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Award Ceremony 6:45 p.m.
- February 3 – May 5, 2018 Materials: Hard + Soft exhibition is on view in the Meadows Gallery at the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center in Denton, Texas
- May 7 – 11, 2018 De-installation and return of artwork