2018 IAA ANIMAL ART AWARDS COMPETITION
(previously IAA National Juried Animal Art Competition)
August 26 – September 28, 2018
Entry Deadline August 25 – 12 NOON (instead of midnight). ***UPDATE***
Location: Jaycee Park Center for the Arts, Irving TX 75062
New format for the IAA Annual Animal Art Exhibit
Formerly a national show, this year we are returning to a regional scope, with no shipping. Online entries (NO IMAGES REQUIRED) are due Friday, August 24, with drop-off on Saturday, August 25. All entries meeting requirements will be accepted.
Any animal species is acceptable as subject matter for works, both wildlife and domestic, including pets. This year, we are including creatures from fantasy (you can make up your own creature or creatures), mythology and Cryptozoology. Also new for 2018, we have a special challenge category of FROGS & TOADS.
Artwork must be an original rendering from personal photographs or observation or your own imagination*. Concept, design and execution should be solely that of the artist. Derivative work from copyrighted or published materials of which the artist is not the sole creator is not permitted, and if discovered, will be disqualified from the competition. Digital art must be created from original photographic elements and/or original digital elements created by the artist. No purchased digital scrapbook or other purchased or public domain elements may be used, and if discovered, will be disqualified from the competition.
*Preconceived creatures from Fantasy, Mythology, and Cryptozoology are exceptions, but the rendering and concept still must be original to the artist.
Submitted works must have been completed within the previous 2 years (completed after 01 September 2016), and not accepted for a previous IAA Art Exhibit. Limit of two entries, plus one challenge piece entry (total of three entries if challenge is met -all three pieces are allowed to meet the challenge). Artwork must not exceed 36″ X 36″ outer dimension (excluding frame if applicable), and cannot weigh more than 30 lbs. Multi-panel art (Diptych, Triptych, etc.) is acceptable as a single piece if the total size cumulatively when hung does not exceed the 36″ X 36″ restriction and each piece does not exceed the 30 lb. weight limitation. Any art submitted exceeding these limitations will be rejected with no refund of entry fee. All art must have artist’s information on back including name, contact information, and date of completion. Art must be wired and ready to hang; NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS.
Accepted Media: Oil, Water Media, Mixed Media, Dry Media, Photography, and Digital Art.
Hand delivery of artwork is on Saturday, 25 August 2018, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. At close of show artwork must be picked up on 29 September 2018, between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Note: no shipping.
For complete entry rules see the prospectus:
- On exhibit August 26 – September 28, 2018
Jaycee Park Center for the Arts, Irving TX 75062
- Friday, August 24 – ENTRY DEADLINE (by noon)
- Saturday, August 25 10am – 2pm – Deliver artwork
- Sunday, September 9 – Reception & Awards: 2-4pm
- Saturday, September 29 – Strike Date 10am – 2pm
- October 6 – December 31 IAA 2018 Animal Art Traveling Exhibit at the Irving Art Center’s Dupree Lobby, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd., Irving TX 7506
|SUBMISSION & PAYMENT
Online: REGISTER HERE (no images required)
DEADLINE Friday, August 24 by NOON
$25 IAA members
Note: you may renew your membership or join at time of entry –
to pay dues go to https://irvingartassociation.org/membership/Pay by PayPal online or by check.
Check (Please register online to enter show):
Make payable to Irving Art Association and mail to:
Irving Art Association Attn.: Exhibits
P.O. Box 153581, Irving, TX 75015-3581
(Checks should be mailed by 15 August 2018, or may accompany artwork at drop off)Not a member?
Join IAA at https://irvingartassociation.org/membership/
Painting: Oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, tempera, encaustic, fresco, inks, spray paint/enamel
Drawing Media: Graphite, charcoal, pen and ink, marker, pastels, colored pencils, scratchboard
Mixed/Other Media: Collage, Found Objects, Fibers, papermaking, clay, mosaic, bookmaking, or any use of
two or more media together. Collage must not extend more than six inches beyond the base surface.
Printmaking: Woodcut, linocuts, screen printing, intaglio, lithograph, monoprints, monotypes
Photography/Digital Print: No professional studio photos if the artist was not the sole photographer. If post production of the photograph includes foreign elements, or effects beyond standard film darkroom adjustments (exposure, brightness, contrast, etc.), it should be submitted to the Digital Art category.
Digital Art must be created from original photographic elements and/or original digital elements created by the artist. No purchased digital scrapbook or other purchased elements (including public domain elements) may be used, and if discovered, the submitted work will be disqualified from the competition. Digital photography when post production includes foreign elements, or effects beyond standard film darkroom adjustments (exposure, brightness, contrast, etc.), should be submitted to the Digital Art category.
REQUIREMENTS (for complete rules see the Prospectus):
- Any animal species– both wildlife and domestic, including pets. This year, we are including creatures from fantasy.
- Open to all artists. Under 18 only with parental or guardian consent.
- Deadline for registration Friday, August 24 by 11:59pm
- Art completed after Sept. 2016 only
- Limit of two entries, plus one challenge piece entry (toads or frogs) — for atotal of three entries if challenge is met -all three pieces are allowed to meet the challenge.
- Entry fees: $45 nonmembers; $20 IAA members (note: you may join or renew at time of entry)
- Hand delivery of art only
- Original work only — work must not infringe on any existing copyright and have no purchased or public domain elements.
- Size limit: 36″x36″ unframed
- Weight limit: 30lbs
- No glass on art over 16×20
- Unframed canvas must be side-painted or finished. No side staples.
- Artwork must be wired and ready for hanging.