Jane Cornish Smith’s 1-day Cold Wax Workshop; Cold Wax Creations – Abstracted Landscape!
Only 2 spaces left!
Cold Wax Creations – Abstracted LandscapFriday, Friday, September 22nd, 2017
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
The cost is $225.00 which includes MANY supplies (supply and registration info below)
Cold wax is an amazingly fun and versatile medium in which to paint! Its luscious, buttery consistency combines with oil paint to result in beautiful translucent works of art. Endless possibilities abound utilizing brushes, scrapers, and incising tools to make cold wax paintings that yield dimensional surface textures, layers, vivid color, depth, and a silky patina. The workshop includes basic instruction on composition, color, value and line, as well as a look into the emotive and conceptual aspects of art making.
Provided and Suggested Supply list:
- 1 encaustic gessoed 11×14 cradled board … I will have more boards for sale a the workshop.
- 5 sheets of Arches oil painting paper but you can buy more here: http://www.cheapjoes.com/arches-oil-paper-pads.html
- Mesermeister Squeegee: Provided for use at the workshop: Bowl scrapers: If you’d like to purchase one of your own, here’s the link:Mesermeister Squeegee https://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-Silicone-Bowl-Scraper-Blue/dp/B003J373TQ
- Brayers: Provided for use at the workshop: Brayers: If you’d like to purchase one of your own, here’s the Inovart link:https://www.amazon.com/Inovart-Snap-Soft-Rubber-Brayer/dp/B0044S8CWM/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1494607031&sr=1-11&keywords=rubber+brayer
- or Speedball in various sizes: https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Deluxe-4-Inch-Rubber-Brayer/dp/B003IFY622/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1494607068&sr=1-2&keywords=rubber+brayer Provided for use at the workshop:
- Squeegees – Provided for use at the workshop: if you’d like to purchase one of your own, here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-All-Purpose-Squeegee/dp/B000CCDBRK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1494607289&sr=1-4&keywords=squeegee&th=1
- Incising tools Provided for use at the workshop: but please feel free to bring more of your own: various incising tools: wood skewers, palette knives and toothpicks
- Palettes and wax paper – provided but you are welcome to bring more
- Turpentine or mineral spirits Provided
- Cold Wax medium Provided: 12 ounces of Cold Wax medium but if you’d like to buy some of your own, here’s a link:http://www.cheapjoes.com/gamblin-cold-wax-medium.html
- Charcoal and sandpaper Provided
- Silicone spatulas Provided for use at the workshop —2 GLOUE silicone spatulas but here’s a link if you’d like to buy your own:https://www.amazon.com/Cooptop-Premium-Silicone-Spatula-Set/dp/B01FX8K3CI/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1494717115&sr=1-2&keywords=cooptop+spatulas .
- Scraping tools: Provided but you are welcome to bring more cardboard and mat board squares for scraping.
Please bring Oil paints – this can be a variety of your favorite colors but be sure to have a good range and plenty of white. Any brand will do.
Please bring some photo references of landscapes, a sketchbook for notes and a lunch.
- Alcohol inks Provided but you can buy more here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_9_11?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=adirondack+alcohol+ink&sprefix=adirondack+%2Cgarden%2C155&crid=199CTLWWLWVHW Jane’s favorites: adirondack rust/stonewash/pitch black
- Containers for turp Provided
- Paper towels – one roll per person provided but please bring more
Please bring Tape – blue or green, 1- 1.5”
Originally from Canada, Texas-based artist Jane Cornish Smith’s nomadic childhood, along with her artist mother, fostered an appreciation for creative expression from a young age. Jane produces paintings and sculptural work with diverse materials and subject matter, but has concentrated in recent years on cold wax and encaustic mediums. She has attended artist residencies at the International School of Painting, Drawing, and Sculpture in Umbria, Italy; Vermont Studio Center; and Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, and earned BFA, MLA, and MFA degrees. An award-winning artist, her work hangs at the University of Texas at Tyler, Brookhaven College, Texas A&M University-Commerce, Museum of Encaustic Art in Santa Fe, Tenby Museum and Art Gallery in Wales, the Cancer Support Community of North Texas, and others. She enjoys teaching, and making art from her glass-lined studio in rural Lone Oak, Texas.
Payment and Registration info:
The cost of the workshop is $225.00
Only 8 spaces available so please let me know right away if you would like to join in and I will confirm space availability. Spaces fill up quickly!
Please pay in full (via the below options) $225 or contact me if you’d like to make another arrangement.
In the event of cancellation, $100.00 will be refunded if someone from the waiting list is able to attend.
Payment Options (after availability is confirmed:)
* via PayPal by logging into paypal and sending your $210 payment to email@example.com or please request a paypal invoice from me.
* By check to The Encaustic Center, 580 W Arapaho Rd. #271, Richardson, TX, 75080
* By credit card; call Bonny at 214-405-5993
Thank you!! Bonny
The Encaustic Center: theencausticcenter.com
580 W.Arapaho Rd. #271
Richardson, TX. 75080
The Bonny Studio Classes: thebonnystudio.com