This class will be about the materials an oil painter uses, proper terms and how to paint in a still life setting.
April 26, May 3, 10, 24, 31
Where: Holder Dane Gallery & Art Studios (701 S Main St, Suite 100, Grapevine, TX 76051)
How: contact Pat at email@example.com or 817-488-6822 to register.
Learn the Materials
• Brushes: synthetic, bristle, flat, round, filbert etc. and when to use them
• Oil paints: different grades – student, artist, professional, which colors dry slow or fast etc.
• Painting surfaces
• Mediums: solvents, glazing, oils etc.
• Easels & light sources
• Paints, brushes, canvas, easels, solvent, palette – will be supplied for the first session (on-going classes)
Painting Instruction: everything is supplied for first sessions
• Positioning to paint, light sources etc.
• Tone, drawing with brush, cutting in, fat over lean etc.
• How and when to use mediums: glaze, solvents, etc.
• Techniques will be introduced, demonstrated, practiced, revisited
• One-hour demonstration followed by two hours of student painting
This is a class that will teach everything from the proper materials, tools, equipment, how to look at your subjects, lighting, painting terms i.e.) values, form shadows, cast shadows …there is so much that Deborah will impart to a student at any level. To have the chance to learn about oil painting from such an experienced professional is a rare opportunity and we are pleased to offer her classes.
Deborah Allison has more than 20 years’ experience teaching, tutoring and coaching adult artists from beginning to professional levels. Mediums taught have included oil, watercolor, pastel and acrylic painting as well as graphite drawing. Skills taught include drawing and painting from life and photographs, using observation rather than formulas. Instruction in landscape, portraiture and still life subject matter with realistic representation stressed. Deborah studied in France with Parisian artist Alexandra Georgeon-Colin for seven years, acquiring detailed studio instruction while working from life. Workshops with Timothy Wells focused on landscape plein-air painting in watercolor. Deborah was chosen to succeed Wells as teacher for the plein-air workshops in England, France and Italy. She started her studies of portraiture and figurative work with master artist, Anthony Ryder in 2007 and continued an intensive study at the Ryder Studio in Santa Fe. Throughout her career, Deborah has focused on drawing and painting in a classical representational style, working from life, sprinkled with forays into semi-abstraction from time to time.